Friday, June 27, 2008

Summer Reading Lists: Why Bother?

OK, the Summer Reading List I started with has gotten all cattywhompus in less than a week, so I am starting over. This new list reflects that I finished several of the books on the first list, I added a couple of early review books that I had forgotten about, and I decided on an arbitrary method of selecting which books on my iPod to listen to next. Here is the latest version of my Summer Reading List, which is really just a list of the next 10 books I plan to read (subject to change at whim) in roughly the order of reading them: Bridge of Sighs by Olen Steinhauer (Which I am listening to now); Resistance Fighter by Jorgen Kieler (about the Danish resistance movement in WWII); Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (which I've been avoiding but the book club chose); The Cossacks by Leo Tolstoy (next up on my iPod); America, America by Ethan Canin (one of the early review books I forgot about); The Seven Dials Mystery by Agatha Christie (which I have been carrying around in my car for emergencies); The Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud (also on my iPod); Abbeville by Jack Fuller (another for which I need to write a review); My Uncle Oswald by Roald Dahl (so I can completely finish his Omnibus); and The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien (because I have never read it and so plan to listen to the audio version).

2 comments :

  1. I admire this summer reading list. I'm too skittish about holding myself to a list. Once it's on paper (or on list), I feel like I have to stick to it. These books all look great. (By the by, I use to live in Portland and miss it a great deal. Thanks for incorporating your location into your blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I can get pretty insane about my reading lists, but not about this one. Since all these books are already on my TBR shelf (either literally, or in audio version on my iPod), I know I will read them some day, even if they fall off this current list.

    In fact, I just tried to start Interprepation of Dreams on my iPod and discovered that the tracks were out of order. So I have to get it from the library again. In the meantime, I started something else on my iPod, thereby messing up my Summer List again and already! Really, why bother?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...